Thursday, January 2, 2014

Surprise Christmas

Our Christmas started on the 23rd. Since we were going to be traveling we opened our presents on the morning of the 23rd. The boys both got spoiled rotten! James loved all the cars and trucks he got.
the only picture I took opening presents.


Then on Christmas eve, we hopped in our car and drove the 4.5 hours to New York City (the JFK airport). It was a pretty easy drive, except when we got into the city. That part was a liiiitle stressful. My dad was able to get on us on an earlier flight, and a nice man that works for Delta gave us preferred seats for free! Ben and I sat in front of each other because we both had a lap infant (something about extra oxygen masks in certain seats). My kindle was our saving grace with James during the trip. We had Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and Wreck it Ralph on it, and he watched them all! Theo was a little fussy on the flight, until he fell asleep. Ben and I both played the free trivia game on the flight pretty much the whole time- so exciting.




I know, you all wanted to see lots of pictures of the bridges we crossed...

my flying buddy

Before we boarded the plane, I asked Ben if he grabbed James's car seat. His reply was, "dangit, I knew I was forgetting something." I said that's okay, I think you can rent one at the airport. Well, it turns out you can rent one... as long as you are also renting a car... which we weren't. However, the people at Hertz were super super nice and let us take one for FREE! For a Christmas miracle. Even though it ended up being the wrong kind of car seat... I should have checked before we left. Whoops. Oh well, better than nothing and super generous of them.
My dad had parked his car in the parking garage with his keys in the gas tank compartment thing (the name escapes me... also he works right next to the airport so that was an easy thing to do), and he drove the company truck home (telling my mom he had some decals he needed to put on it). SO we got in the car and drove home to surprise my mom! I would post the video of my mom's reaction, but for some reason it isn't working. You can check it out on my facebook or instagram though! It was great.
James in his too big car seat



We got to say hi, and visit with the whole family, including Nicholas and Telsee, and our old foreign exchange student Vicente, and his little family! Then the boys were READY for bed. The next thing we knew, we were waking up on Christmas morning! My mom was able to round up some last minute gifts and stocking stuffers for us, so we had a few things to open which was fun.



 James LOVED Tilli. He got so excited everytime she came into the room, and sometimes she was the only way we could get him to do something/distract him from something he wasn't supposed to be doing.






these pjs are the cutest things ever. They actually have the old fashioned butt flap.


Mom getting emotional that we were actually there



enjoying a little christmas nap








 We had a great Christmas day visiting with family and relaxing... and watching movies.

No comments: