Thursday, June 6, 2013

Pregnancy Update

I haven't been doing pregnancy updates on here very often... actually this might be my first or second. Whoops! But a lot has been going on recently, so if you want to know how everything is going... keep reading.
Last week I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I did not have this with James, so everything is very new to me (and slightly overwhelming at times). Before you say anything, yes, I know that this can increase my risk of developing Type 2 diabetes later in life (I certainly didn't choose to get gestational diabetes now did I?), and no it does not run abundantly in my family (one person that I know of has it). Now that I got that out in the open, here is what I am doing :)
-Taking my blood sugar 4 times a day (its kinda exciting to see what its going be... at least when it is a good reading...)
-My goal for blood sugar levels are 80 for fasting (first thing in the morning), and 110 after meals.
-I can have 30-45g of carbs for breakfast, 45-60g of carbs for lunch and dinner, and 3 snacks of 15-25g of carbs.
-I measure my ketones every morning (to make sure I am getting enough calories)
-I get to have an ultrasound every 4 weeks to monitor the baby's growth.

Speaking of the ultrasounds, I had my first one yesterday. They measure the abdominal circumference of the baby to see how big he is, etc. Then they give the measurement a percentage. They like to see it below 75%. And guess what? This little boy's measurement was 83%... SO because of that I have to keep my levels below 80 and 110. If his measurement was below 75% I would be staying under 105 and 150. They estimated him to be around 4 lbs and 3 oz already, which is a little on the big side. So far I have been pretty good at keeping my levels below where they are supposed to be. Hopefully they will stay that way and I won't need to take medicine for it. SOOOOO, that is where we are at right now. Congratulations if you made it through all that jargon.

I have also been going to a chiropractor which has been helping my back pain A LOT. So overall things are going well. I am trying to look at this as an opportunity to develop healthy eating habits for me and my family. Here is a pic of the belly as of a few days ago at 31 weeks.


No comments: